The Student Scholarships are to encourage the entrance of new librarians into the field of medical librarianship, the Florida Health Sciences Library Association (FHSLA) will award up to two (2) student scholarships to its annual meeting.
The name(s) of the person(s) who receive the FHSLA student scholarship(s) will be forwarded to their Library School Dean for possible on-campus recognition. Recipient names will also be listed in the FHSLA newsletter. Students may be asked to help at the registration desk or in some other way at the annual meeting.
- Up to two (2) student scholarships will be awarded annually. A maximum amount of $250 per scholarship will be available. This money will be used first for registration and CE courses. Any remaining funds may be applied towards hotel, travel or meals not included in the conference.
- Student scholarship priority will rotate between the University of South Florida (odd years) and Florida State University (even years). If no student from the school with priority applies in that year, a winner or winners will be selected from the other school if they meet the other guidelines.
- Students must be currently enrolled in graduate-level library courses and be carrying more than half-time loads in order to qualify. Priority will be given to full-time students.
- Students should demonstrate the potential for success in the field of health science librarianship through volunteer work, activity within relevant professional associations, and other applicable extracurricular experience.
- Recipients of scholarships for the previous year are not eligible for scholarships for the current year.
- Applicant must complete an application form, including a statement answering the question: "What do you expect to gain professionally and/or personally by attending the FHSLA annual meeting?"
- Scholarship award winner(s) will be expected to attend sessions of FHSLA's Annual Meeting, including the business meeting, and submit a brief (250-300 word) follow-up report to be published in the FHSLA Alert.
The Honors and Awards Committee will have the responsibility for deciding whether applicants meet the criteria and awarding the scholarships.
The President of FHSLA will notify the Dean of the applicant(s)' library school of the winner(s)' names and suggest that the student(s) be recognized. The President will also submit the information to the FHSLA Webmaster to put on the FHSLA web page.